Sisterknitter

A British knitting blogger from North London

Thursday, March 11, 2004

I HATE CIRCULAR NEEDLES

I was so excited last night about finishing the cummerbund for my Kyoto top.
That faded to disappointment after i had finished binding off.
I tried to make sure the yarn wasn't twisted, but no amount of unwrapping would make the band unravel. It just looked like a horrible tangle of fabric.
The sensible option would have been to unravel it and start again, but I couldn't face doing that at all.
So I took a deep breath and dived into the world of steeking.
This is a Norwegian technique where you cut a hole in your knitting (!) to make sleeves, necks etc.
I liken it to a surgeon tying off an artery to make sure it does not bleed anymore.
After cutting I used a stitch holder to thread the ravelled end. Then I sewed an ordinary seam while going over the ragged edge over and over again. It seems to be holding so far. Fingers crossed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home