Sisterknitter

A British knitting blogger from North London

Sunday, November 14, 2004

Bad Charlotte



I can't get my head around the Charlotte's Web pattern, so to save tearing all my hair out, I've had to retire it for now.
The pattern was so confusing that I've had more relaxing times filling in my tax return. I had tried everything - looking on the web for advice, writing the pattern out line by line, blowing the pattern up to A3 size, but nothing worked. In the end, I just admitted defeat and ripped out what I had done.
I'm all for a challenging pattern. But when a pattern consists of incomplete charts and confusing instructions, that's just sloppy work.
All I want to do is produce a beautiful shawl, not crack a secret code.

So now I am knitting a pair of gloves from the current Rowan magazine (issue 36). The pattern is called Brie, and I'm knitting it in Marmalade Kidsilk Haze.
It's a real breath of fresh air compared to Charlotte. Just simple, straightforward knitting. I'm using US size 11 and 12, which translates to UK 2 and 3. Compared to the UK6.5s that I used for the Kitty hat, it feels like I'm knitting with toothpicks.

I refuse to be beaten by the shawl problem. I've ordered the Koigu Gypsy shawl pattern and some more Koigu yarn from Get Knitted. I hope this won't be a case of once bitten, twice shy.
I noticed that Kerrie also had tribulations with Charlotte and swapped to the Gypsy pattern - at least I'm not alone!

5 Comments:

At 8:45 am, Blogger Minxxy said...

Oh the trials of a chart!
It all sounds so familiar! I did all that as well and was like a dog with a bone until I had mastered it. Bloomin Hard so it was!!
Looking forward to seeing the gloves...I did Fawne and they are cracking!

 
At 8:48 am, Blogger Minxxy said...

How do you create the Sister Knitter etc buttons?
I would like to have one for L'il ole me but aint got a clue where to start!!

 
At 4:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
[url=http://oblagqpg.com/qkub/zleu.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://hsvypwzi.com/ksnr/xqha.html]Cool site[/url]

 
At 4:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
My homepage | Please visit

 
At 4:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
http://oblagqpg.com/qkub/zleu.html | http://kfimbdjd.com/lqwv/vmbh.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home